Sedation Dentistry in Salt Lake City
If you have dental anxiety, getting work done on your teeth can be stressful. But with sedation dentistry in Salt Lake City from Utah Periodontal Specialists, you can take care of your teeth without fear.
Sedation dentistry, also known as sleep dentistry, is a dental practice that involves the use of medication to help patients relax and remain calm during dental procedures. Conscious sedation dentistry in Salt Lake City isn’t just for anxious patients. It can also be beneficial for individuals who struggle to stay in one position and as those undergoing lengthy treatments.
Nitrous oxide, more commonly known as laughing gas, is the mildest form of sedation dentistry. N2O sedation works by affecting the central nervous system, producing a relaxing and euphoric effect. It interacts with certain receptors in the brain, including the N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) receptors and the gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) receptors.
Benefits of N2O sedation include:
- Quick onset and offset : Laughing gas takes effect rapidly, usually within minutes of inhalation. It also wears off quickly once the mask is removed, which allows patients to return to their normal state of consciousness. You won’t need someone to drive you home after N2O sedation.
- Pain relief : Nitrous oxide has mild analgesic properties that reduce discomfort during your dental procedure. It won’t remove all pain, but it will make you feel more comfortable.
- Relaxation : Laughing gas makes you feel relaxed and calm to ease anxieties.
- Decreased perception of time : Time may seem to pass more quickly for patients under N2O sedation, which is beneficial for lengthy procedures.
Oral sedation puts patients in a deeply relaxed and sometimes drowsy state. There are a variety of medications that can be used for oral sedation, depending on your level of anxiety. Common medications used for oral sedation include benzodiazepines (e.g., diazepam, lorazepam, or triazolam) and sometimes other drugs like anti-anxiety meds or antihistamines. In addition to the oral sedative, we provide nitrous oxide to increase your comfort.
Once swallowed, oral sedatives typically take 30 minutes to an hour to take maximum effect. Your dentist will give you instructions on when to take the pill so that you’ll be ready for the procedure. As the medication begins to work, you will feel relaxed and less anxious. If you end up falling asleep, you will be awakened at the end of the procedure.
During your treatment, our staff will track your vital signs, including heart rate, blood pressure, and oxygen levels to ensure your safety. Many oral sedatives have an amnestic effect, meaning you may not remember much about the procedure. After the work is done, you’ll be able to rest for a short time while the medication wears off. When it’s time to leave, you’ll need a responsible adult to drive you home.
IV sedation is commonly used for oral surgery, wisdom teeth removal, and implant therapy. It offers a higher level of sedation compared to oral sedation or laughing gas. Because it’s delivered intravenously, the sedation takes effect rapidly.
The medicine used is typically a kind of benzodiazepine, delivered directly to your bloodstream. Within minutes, you’ll feel drowsy and relaxed. In fact, you’ll feel as if you are in a semi-conscious or dream-like state. You’ll have reduced awareness and likely have little or no memory of the procedure. This is especially beneficial for patients with dental anxiety or PTSD.
In addition to the IV, we often use laughing gas and a local anesthetic to increase your comfort. During the procedure, we keep a close eye on your vitals to make sure you’re safe throughout the procedure. Afterward, you’ll be able to rest while the medication wears off. You’ll need a responsible adult to drive you home.
Who Needs Sedation Dentistry
Sedation dentistry in Salt Lake City can be beneficial for a variety of individuals who face challenges during dental procedures. Even if you’re afraid of the dentist or have physical limitations, sedation dentistry allows you to seek dental care. The following groups of people benefit from conscious sedation dentistry:
- Dental anxiety : If you have a fear of the dentist, you may be avoiding the care your teeth need. Sedation dentistry offers a variety of sedation levels to help you face your fears without anxiety.
- Low pain threshold : If you have a low tolerance for pain or heightened sensitivity, sedation can make your dental treatment more comfortable.
- Gag reflex issues : Patients with a strong gag reflex may struggle to tolerate dental instruments in their mouths. Sedation helps suppress this reflex.
- Lengthy procedures : For extensive dental work, like oral surgeries, root canals, or multiple extractions, sedation can make the procedure more comfortable.
- Patients with special needs : Individuals with physical or intellectual disabilities sometimes struggle to remain still during treatment. Sedation dentistry can help these patients receive dental care they need.
- PTSD : If you have experienced dental trauma in the past, you may have anxiety or PTSD related to dental care. Sedation can ease your fears while you receive treatment.
Conscious Sedation Dentistry in Salt lake City
Whether you have a phobia of dental work or a low pain tolerance, conscious sedation dentistry in Salt Lake City can help you receive the treatment you need without fear. At Utah Periodontal Specialists, our team of board-certified practitioners will use their expertise to keep you calm and comfortable while providing your periodontal treatment. If you have more questions about your sedation options, contact us today. We can help you with your dental implants, gingival grafts, frenectomy, and more.